Why this program?
Professionals from municipalities such as City of Mississauga; Town of Oakville; City of Grande Prairie and Northumberland County have successfully completed Lean for Municipalities Yellow Belt training. Here are some of the reasons why:
- Developed and delivered by Lean for Municipalities experts.
- Self-paced delivery with qualification in 20 hours or less.
- Apply-it-now approach generates immediate benefits.
- Custom built for the entire municipal sector, including real world examples and municipality case studies.
- Provides a foundation to build a culture of Lean across the organization.
- Flexibility to complete within 2 months.
- Provides a Lean certification standard that is recognized across the municipal sector.
Who is this program for?
This program is aimed at professionals from across the municipal sector including fleet services, permit applications, payroll, human resources, IT, etc.
Program content & structure
The Lean for Municipalities Yellow Belt program is made up of eight courses. The program also consists of a multiple-choice exam online.
The outline below lists sample topics from each course.
An Introduction to Lean
- What is Lean and why apply it?
- Goals and origins of Lean
- Municipalities and Lean
Lean Principles and the Concept of Waste
- Value stream, flow, pull, and perfection
- Municipalities and waste
- Value and activities
Applying Lean in Municipalities
- Key issues in municipalities
- Cost, quality and delivery
- Creating value by managing processes
Initiating a Lean Activity
- Lean and Plan-Do-Check-Act
- The A3 process
- Data collection
Introduction to Process and Value Stream Mapping
- Selecting a process to map
- Current and future state mapping
- Current state analysis
Kaizen and Problem Solving
- Types and impact of Kaizen
- Kaizen rules and events
- Conducting root cause analysis
- Introduction to 5S
- Initiating 5S in Municipalities
- Closing a 5S event
Implementing and Sustaining Improvements
- Implementing improvements
- Lean tools for sustainment
- Standard work
Learn from leaders
Callie is a Lean leader with 20 years’ experience in the fields of strategy deployment, continuous improvement, change management, business process efficiency and human resources. As well as delivering Belt training and coaching, Callie specializes in strategy organizational design, and governance structures. Sample clients include City of Mississauga; Northumberland County; City of Richmond Hill and Town of Paradise, among others.
Discounted program fees & enrolment
The early bird October 2020 discounted program fees per region are outlined below. All prices are exclusive of tax.
Visit our learning platform, LearnUpon, to book and pay for your online training course and get started today.
Get in touch
Get in touch with John to discuss any queries about the course or to enrol and arrange payment.
Please choose your currency
To book your place, please select the relevant currency. You will then be directed to our elearning platform.
What our learners say
As an organization that is lean from a staff resource perspective, the introduction of continuous improvement and Lean management strategies has been a natural fit with our corporate culture.
This focus fits with our mission to be a best practices leader in municipal government and has equipped us with tools to advance our strategic plan with innovation and excellence. Callie is a master of her trade and her training style fits very well with our culture.
Working with the Leading Edge Group team we have been able to build awareness and understanding of continuous improvement (CI) within the organization, develop capacity internally for staff to be able to lead CI projects, and outline a strategy for continuous improvement to take us through to the next steps. While we are in the early phase of this CI journey and still have a lot of work to do, Leading Edge Group has provided practical advice and strategic guidance every step of the way.