Why this program?
Professionals from municipalities such as City of Mississauga; Town of Oakville; City of Grande Prairie and Northumberland County have successfully completed Lean for Municipalities Yellow Belt training. Here are some of the reasons why:
- Developed and delivered by Lean for Municipalities experts.
- Self-paced delivery with qualification in 20 hours or less.
- Apply-it-now approach generates immediate benefits.
- Custom built for the entire municipal sector, including real world examples and municipality case studies.
- Provides a foundation to build a culture of Lean across the organization.
- Flexibility to complete within 2 months.
- Provides a Lean certification standard that is recognized across the municipal sector.
Who is this program for?
This program is aimed at professionals from across the municipal sector including fleet services, permit applications, payroll, human resources, IT, etc.
Program content & structure
The Lean for Municipalities Yellow Belt program is made up of eight courses. The program also consists of a multiple-choice exam online.
The outline below lists sample topics from each course.
An Introduction to Lean
- What is Lean and why apply it?
- Goals and origins of Lean
- Municipalities and Lean
Lean Principles and the Concept of Waste
- Value stream, flow, pull, and perfection
- Municipalities and waste
- Value and activities
Applying Lean in Municipalities
- Key issues in municipalities
- Cost, quality and delivery
- Creating value by managing processes
Initiating a Lean Activity
- Lean and Plan-Do-Check-Act
- The A3 process
- Data collection
Introduction to Process and Value Stream Mapping
- Selecting a process to map
- Current and future state mapping
- Current state analysis
Kaizen and Problem Solving
- Types and impact of Kaizen
- Kaizen rules and events
- Conducting root cause analysis
- Introduction to 5S
- Initiating 5S in Municipalities
- Closing a 5S event
Implementing and Sustaining Improvements
- Implementing improvements
- Lean tools for sustainment
- Standard work
Learn from leaders
Dwight is a certified Lean Six Sigma Black Belt with over 20 years experience across healthcare, pharmaceuticals, retail, medical devices and logistics with a focus on administrative as well as operational processes. He has held lead roles in the deployment of Lean Six Sigma transformations at Cardinal Health and Novo Nordisk.
Dwight has utilized his Lean Six Sigma process improvement skills to enhance complex, cross-functional business processes that impact quality and customer satisfaction. He has a passion for problem solving and uses humour to engage staff and management in leveraging Lean Six Sigma tools to implement high impact solutions. Clients and partners include Town of Whitby; City of St. John’s; Nova Scotia Health Authority; Diabetes Canada; AstraZeneca; Unisource and Eli Lilly.
Program fees & enrolment
The program fees per region are outlined below. All prices are exclusive of tax.
Visit our learning platform, LearnUpon, to book and pay for your online training course and get started today.
Get in touch
Get in touch with John to discuss any queries about the course or to enrol and arrange payment.
Please choose your currency
To book your place, please select the relevant currency. You will then be directed to our elearning platform.
What our learners say
Leading Edge Group’s expertise in adult learning and knowledge of Lean principles will empower staff to apply continuous improvement in their work and improve the City’s services.
Many of our staff have received White and Yellow Belt training. Having so many of our employees all versed in the same continuous improvement school of thought heavily contributed to the Town’s success through unprecedented times.